- This event has passed.
GET YOUR COSPLAY ON AT THE 2019 MOTOR CITY COMIC CON!
Registration Is Now Open!
Do you have mad cosplay skills?
Do you have a cosplay performance you’ve been waiting to debut??
Or do you absolutely love dressing up with your friends as a themed group???
Then join the amazing competitors in this year’s Cosplay Contest! Dress up as your favorite fictional/comic-book character, pop culture icon, or anime character for your chance to win prizes in FOUR different categories.
Or, make sure to join the audience to take photos and enjoy the incredible costumes around you competing for Best Individual, Best Craftsmanship, Best Presentation, & Best Group!
Saturday, May 18, 2019
Time: 5:00 PM
Location: Speaker Rooms 1 & 2 (combined)
Special Guest Judges for 2019: Will Blattman, Shamus Smith, and RayGreyCosplay
Online Registration Only
Register online right away to reserve your spot, then pay the registration fee at the “Cosplay Check-In” table (CASH ONLY) on Saturday, May 18th during check-in. There are only 150 spots available and they are first come, first served so make sure register quickly! Check-in is located outside of Speaker Room 1 on Saturday only from open until 3:00 PM. There will be an opportunity to sign up on the alternate list in case of last minute cancellations at the check-in table as well. You can cancel up to 24 hours before the contest. Failure to check-in and pay your registration fee before 3:00 PM on Saturday the 18th will result in the forfeit of your spot to allow for an alternate to participate. No call-no shows will not be allowed to compete in future cosplay events. The contest will start promptly at 5:00 PM (Speaker Rooms 1 & 2 Combined). Registered contestants are asked to arrive at the staging area outside the designated contest room between 4:15 PM – 4:30 PM.
There is a CASH ONLY $10.00 fee/person to sweeten the pot to be paid during check-in outside of Speaker Room 1 and 2 on Saturday, May 18th from open to 3:00 PM. We will have 4 categories this year (Best Individual, Best Craftsmanship, Best Presentation & Best Group) each with a grand prize and weekend passes to next years show. Please note the $10.00 registration fee applies to all participants including each member of a group.
General Guidelines & Rules:
- Contest is open to ages 13+
- Registration Fee: $10.00 per person (CASH ONLY) due at check-in for every individual. Registration is non-refundable.
- Payment information will be provided in a confirmation email after registration.
- Each contestant may only enter one costume into the competition.
- Categories are: INDIVIDUAL or GROUP. Contestants will be judged on a variety of criteria, including originality, craftsmanship, design, and performance.
- $700.00 guaranteed first prize for Individual and Group category with $300.00 guaranteed prize for Best Craftsmanship and Best Presentation. The total may increase depending on the number of contestants. Grand prizes also include weekend passes to the 2020 show and additional prizes.
- All rules and guidelines set by the convention still apply during the contest.
- No nudity. This is a family event. Costumes depicting anything not suitable for a general audience are not allowed to enter the contest. Skintight bodysuits ARE allowed, however, they should be in good taste.
- No profanity allowed on stage. That includes messages on signs or clothes. Anyone who violates will be disqualified from the competition.
- No political or religious statement during the catwalk. Anyone who violates this will be disqualified from the competition.
- No pyrotechnics, explosive devices, or similar special effects are to be used. Anyone who violates this rule may be disqualified from the competition and may be asked to leave the convention area.
- All prop weapons must conform to the Motor City Comic Con weapons policy which is as follows:
- All weapons must be non-working and peace bonded. No functioning projectile weapons – including water pistols, silly-string guns, and ping-pong pistols. Live steel weapons can only be drawn or unsheathed for the stage performance or for photos taken in the designated areas. Any weapon used in an offensive manner will be confiscated. Anyone who violates this rule may be disqualified from the competition and may be asked to leave the convention area. We expect you to use good judgment; with your help, we can continue to allow peace-bonded weapons.
- Presentations on the stage should be limited to no longer than 1 minute for individuals and 2 minutes for groups. If more time is needed, please alert the person at the check-in table before 2:00 PM on Saturday for scheduling.
- Most importantly, HAVE FUN!!!
- Questions? Please email email@example.com
Special Guest Judge
Cosplay Confidential is a weekly podcast on the Podcast Detroit Network. Join KikiElise Cosplay (@realkikielise) Jen ( @strawcolored_hoopbat) and Will (@willlovespizza) as they get to know cosplayers from all walks of life. You can find Cosplay Confidential on Instagram (@CosplayConfidential), Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts and the Podcast Detroit App. Keep creating, inspiring, and sharing the love!
Will Blattman is a podcaster and cosplayer. He is a producer and host on Cosplay Confidential a weekly podcast that interviews cosplayers. He has worked on several award winning short films and is a show engineer for Podcast Detroit. You can find him on Instagram @willlovespizza and @cosplayconfidential.
Shamus Smith is the current president of the league of enchantment. He has many life experiences varied as running a small business and managing operations to coaching youth ball teams and running outreach groups for church. He has had many varied experiences in his life from meeting Rod Steward in a popcorn shop to having a conversation about slippers with William Katt.
RayGreyCosplay is originally from Windsor, On. She now bounces back and forth between the border for events. She started her craft working in the theater but her love of comic books and games sent her into the world of cosplay. RayGrey has done many characters from Disney princesses and super heroes to villains and armored game characters. She has been cosplaying for around 7 years now and has worked with several mediums and medias. She aims to share her love of art and dance with the cosplay community.